Tuesday 19 March 2013

A bit about me...





I'm Biz. People often ask why. I say that when I was born my dad said I was 'just the Bizness' and it stuck.

This is me above, with my friend Mike, who I met whilst doing the Oasis project in London. Bringing the Oasis game from Brazil to England was quite a brave move. Certainly, the locals found the dancing, singing and utter optimism of the Oasis process a bit different!

I kept finding myself spending time in the pub with cynical old men in the community, who were slightly bemused by the cackle of 'do gooders' that had showed up in their community, with the intent of transforming a derelict piece of land into a beautiful community haven.

'You'll never do that around here' Mike said, and was quite angry at first that anyone would turn up, promising local kids a miracle that they couldn't deliver. I had reservations myself, and kept finding myself questioning the whole process, asking myself what am I doing in this neighbourhood that I don't live in, thinking I can make a difference, when I don't even understand the context?

I was right to be questioning it, but happily, my doubts were proved wrong. Within 3 days an army of 200 people had been mobilised, with an abundance of resources gathered from the local community, and 2 days after that, we had a stunning garden, neighbours who were connecting for the first time, and a huge amount of happy, satisfied and re-humanised people.

Having been involved in community development I have never come across a process I have been more transformed by, nor seen such miracles before my eyes. It is for this reason that I would like to come and participate in WWW 2014 and learn the skills I need to take this to new places, and re-inspire myself, in the process.

Why I would like to go back to Brazil...

I lived in Brazil 5 years ago in Vila dos Pescadores, near Santos, and I am now ready to return. I lived in the favela for 6 months and worked with the children there doing an art project and teaching them outside of school. I learnt more in my time there than at any other time in my life. 

I was inspired by the amount of joy people had despite what I perceived as a lack of material resources and opportunities, and the abundance there is in scarcity. I felt overwhelmed by my acceptance in the community at large, despite being an outsider, and the warmth of the people I met. 

My friends from the Vila recently came to visit me in London and complained of the cold! They meant the weather, but to a certain extent, I think they also meant the people. In London, there is a feeling that everyone is on their own mission, and don't have time for each other.

I would like to bring the warmth and innovative attitudes I found in Brazil, and the technique of the Warriors game back to the UK in contexts where there is a need for greater human connection. 

I am returning to Brazil on a mission to re-connect with the people I used to live with, with people from all over the world, and re-connect with myself, and what I have to offer to humanity. I am ready for action! Let's go!


No comments:

Post a Comment